Supply List for The Architecture of Light:
Please feel free to bring whatever materials or supplies make your painting experience the most comfortable. But as a general rule – and especially when we paint on site - keeping materials to a minimum will make for a much more enjoyable time. - Tom Schaller
- Sketch Pencil with soft lead – and soft white or kneaded eraser
- Sketchbook of any comfortable size
- Watercolor Paper: Good quality surface – I recommend Saunders, Fabriano Artistico, or Arches 140 lb. rough surface – quarter or half-sheet sizes will be best – perhaps one or maybe two sheets per day. Also, a good quality watercolor block would be fine. I will be using primarily half-sheets (15X22 inches) of Fabriano Artistico, Saunders Waterford, or Arches 140lb rough surface stretched or taped to a board for my demos, studio, and field painting.
- Easel: A simple, light, outdoor tripod easel for field or studio work, and a light work board (plywood, particle board, etc.) on which paper may be stapled or taped.
- Watercolor Palette: any type with which you are most comfortable, but it should have at least three good-sized mixing wells. I typically use a folding metal palette for both studio and field work
- Pigments: At the very least, 3 high-quality tube colors : a red, a blue, and a yellow. But I suggest the complimentary combinations of Cobalt Blue / Light Red ; Ultramarine Blue / Burnt Siena : Yellow / Violet : Viridian / Alizarin Crimson. I will be using the following palette of pigments by Daniel Smith ( others are fine). Likely these will be the pigments most used: Cad. Yellow Light, French Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Cad. Red Light, Permanent Orange, Alizarin Crimson, Serpentine Green, Jadite Green, Cobalt Teal, Lavender, Manganese Blue, Cobalt Blue, French Ultramarine, Imperial Violet, Neutral Tint. ( Titanium White )
- Brushes: I suggest a minimum of 3 brushes – a natural hair (squirrel mop or equivalent) and a #10 or12 round. I will be using Escoda Aquario Series (#14 16) mops, several rounds; (Escoda Perla Series -4,6,8,10,12 synthetics) and an Escoda Versatil Series flat, and a rigger.
- Misc:, Masking tape, a small water mister, light-weight water container, small sea sponge, and paper towels are needed. Don’t forget a hat and sunscreen for site work.